Skip to content

You are on the FAQs answer page for:

Why can′t I pay council tax on my self-catering holiday accommodation?

Council tax only applies to properties used solely for domestic purposes.

If your property is available for short-term let for 140 days or more a year, then it is not solely used for domestic purposes and it will be valued for business rates (different rules apply to Wales . For more information see the guidance for cottages and self catering units in Wales).

If it is not available for 140 days or more a year, or becomes occupied as a sole or main residence, then you should contact the VOA. Tell us the address and postcode of the property, along with the date it stopped being available for short-term let.