Skip to content

You are on the FAQs answer page for:

I don′t actually let my holiday accommodation for more than 140 days a year – why should I pay rates?

If your property is available for short-term let for 140 days or more a year, it will be rated as a self-catering property and is liable for business rates.

It is the availability of your property and not its actual lettings that is used to define whether it is self-catering holiday accommodation.

If it is not available for 140 days or more a year, or becomes occupied as a sole or main residence, then you should contact the VOA. Tell us the address and postcode of the property, along with the date it stopped being available for short-term let.

If the availability can be confirmed in a brochure or online listing, send us the details.